stay put是什么意思?你知道吗?
英文中有一个词组stay put,你知道它是什么意思吗?一起来看看《老友记》的这个片段吧。
对话原文
Hey Bob.
嗨,鲍勃
Hey! How’s my pal Toby doing today?
嘿,我的朋友托比,今天怎么样
If I see him, I’ll ask.
我看到他时会问的
Toby!
托比!
Hey-hey! Bing? Was that Bob from six you were just talking too?
嘿,宾,你刚才是在和六楼的鲍勃说话吗
Yeah!
是的!
Oh then you know each other.
所以你们认识
We’re on a semi-first name basis.
我们知道彼此的名字而已
What do you think of adding him to our team?
你觉得把他加进我们组怎么样
Bob? Ooh, working here with us? Everyday? Yeah, I don’t know if he has what it takes.
鲍勃?和我们一起工作?每天?我不知道他能否胜任
Really? They love him down on six.
是吗?六楼的人很喜欢他
But this is eleven. It’s almost twice as hard up here.
但这是11楼,这的工作要难上两倍
Okay, I hear you loud and clear.
好吧,我明白你的意思了。
Bob will stay put.
鲍勃暂时不调动他
I think it’s best sir.
我认为这最好
But we really do need to find someone uphere. The work is starting to pile up. I’ve got a stack of documents on my desk this high.
但我们的确需要再找人了,工作已经堆积了很多,我桌子上的文件都有这么高了
Y’know what you should do, just toss ‘em in the shedder and claim you never got ‘em.
你知道应该怎么做,直接把它们扔到碎纸机里然后说没有见过
That’s a good one.
这个笑话不错
What does a guy have to do to be taken seriously around here?!
我该怎么做他们才会觉得我是认真的
今日重点:
朋友,伙伴:pal。笔友:pen pal
一半的:semi。semi-final,半决赛
……的两倍:twice
一清二楚:loud and clear
原地不动:stay put。put除了表示“放下”,也可作形容词表示“固定不动的”
堆积:pile up
一堆,一摞:a stack of
抛,投:toss。除了作动词,也可表示“抛硬币”
认真对待:take it seriously